Earwigs Removal in Virginia & North Carolina
Earwigs get their name from a widespread superstition that they crawl into peoples ears when they are asleep and bore into the brain.
Earwigs are brownish to black in color and have long narrow bodies ranging between 1/4 to 1 inch in length. Adult earwigs can be winged. There are over 2,000 species worldwide and of these 22 are found in the US. Common to the areas and the European and Seaside Earwigs.
Earwigs are active at night and hide during the day. Like cockroaches they prefer to hide in dark, moist crevices.
Why do I have earwigs?
You may have a leaking pipe which is providing optimum conditions for them. They usually invades homes and structures in cracks and crevices and hide under furniture and carpeting. Outside they can be found under stones, in lawns or around mulch areas.
How to get rid of earwigs
- In a larger earwig infestation the vacuum can be used in removing them.
- Remove any outdoor harborage areas such as piles of woods, brick and excessive mulch.
- Good grading and drainage minimizing moisture around the foundation.
- Caulking creacks and crevces and the installation of weatherstripping around windows and doors. Vents should be fitted with tight fitted screens.
- Use sodium lighting which will deter not only earwigs but other insects and spiders from the home and structure.
At Four Seasons and HomeTown we understand pests and we also understand our customers. We know that not everyone wants to try and get rid of earwigs or other creepy crawlies themselves. By using a professional Virginia & North Carolina pest control company like ourselves we deal with your pest control problems quickly, before they arise, eliminating them from your home or building. Additionally you don’t have to worry about the dangers of home treatments for earwig and other pest infestations.